Pages

Monday 5 December 2016

Origins Of Christmas Songs.

Made with Padlet

This morning my class and I were given a task from our teacher Ms Komor to research 3-5 different CHRISTMAS songs and search where they originate from. The 5 songs that I have chosen is "Jingle Bells" "Feliz Navidad" "All I Want For Christmas Is You" "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" I chose these songs because I know them well and some I know off by heart. My favourite song out of this is probably "Jingle Bells" because I sang this song at a young age. 

I was also given the activity to search 4 countries that celebrate Christmas differently. The countries that I have chosen is Serbia, Spain, Australia and India. Serbia have their own special tradition, they tie up their father and mother and their parents have to give them money to get them freed. Spain celebrate Christmas by getting a cheeky addition in the form of a character called the 'caganer.' Australia's tradition has it that Father Christmas swaps his reindeer for 'six white boomers' or kangaroos. 

India celebrate Christmas by decorating Mango Tree's, they also use Mango leaves and decorate their homes with the leaves. Did you know that.... Each year more than 3 billion Christmas cards are sent in the U.S alone? The Germans made the first artificial Christmas trees out of dyed goose feathers? Christmas trees have been sold in the U.S since 1850? Christmas trees usually grow for about 15 years before they get sold? Oklahoma was the last U.S state to declare Christmas a legal holiday, in 1907? Christmas wasn't declared an official holiday in the United state until June 26, 1870? Alabama was the first state in the United States to officially recognize Christmas in 1836? All these facts are really interesting and some of them I didn't even know about. 

Out of these seven the one I think is the most interesting to me is that Christmas trees grow for about 15 years before they get sold! Many people buy Christmas trees and I think they don't even know how old they are. Overall, I think that this research really got my mind thinking and now I am ready for more research on Christmas. My family celebrate Christmas this year by going to church as Christmas is on a Sunday. Christmas marks the birth of Jesus, our saviour and redeemer. Something that I enjoyed was researching the different Christmas songs and finding out the meaning of the lyrics. 

Something that I found challenging was some of the lyrics of the songs because I used my own brain to figure out the meaning. My next steps in learning is to use my brain more often and search up more sites to find out the answer. I think we have Christmas Songs to feel the spirit and joy of celebrating Christmas, Music is my motivation and without Music I would be stuck. Many Christmas songs were published a long time ago but people today still listen to them. Christmas carols are always something that I look out for! 

Thanks for having the time to read my work for today! Feel free to leave a comment! Many thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gary,
I really like the way that you used a padlet to put some facts on it and I really like the way that you put most of your other work below the padlet. But next time you should add more facts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary its me Vuni I looked at your work and you did a great job.I had the same challenging as you but I found it out.

Post a Comment