Pages

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Maori Language Week Assembly.

IALT: Write about what I learnt from the Maori Language Week Assembly.

Today, in the first block the whole school gathered together to show respect for the Maori culture, as this week is Maori Language week. The hosts, Contance and Frances, were dressed in Maori clothing, to show their proudness for their culture. Anyways, the assembly was written in Maori, and then translated. I thought this was an awesome idea because as a Maori school, Tamaki Primary should embark on learning the Maori Language. 

Image result for Maori Language

As always, we start with the National Anthem of New Zealand, and then followed by our school Karakia. Then the hosts, took place. Each and every class went up to present something, excluding my class and another class. I was amazed at the different things the classes came up with because, as a pacific islander, I didn't know much about the Maori culture. 
Image result for Maori Language
I learnt three songs during assembly. All written in Maori. Two of them, I knew really well, and the last one I didn't. Because Ms. Kyla wrote the song herself. Which is amazing! She had written a song about Matariki, while she was away on Study Leave, learning more about the Maori culture. Something I learnt during the assembly, was the song about Matariki, and a Maori game.

I can't yet explain it but it seemed really fun, and funny. But it involved thinking, where you have to think of a move, and keep it in time with the beat. A challenge I found, was sometimes understanding the lyrics and memorizing them.

Feel free to leave a comment,
Many thanks :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment