Pages

Wednesday 22 March 2017

Reusing and Attributing Images

WALT: Reuse and Attribute an image without breaking the law.

Yesterday we had another Cybersmarts session with Mrs Shearing. But today for this weeks session we were taught about images and how to use free images and not break the law by using images that aren't allowed to be used for free. At first I thought all the images were free on the internet because I use images for my education all the time! When Mrs Shearing told us about how we could use free images without breaking the law , she taught us how to use a tool on Google Images to pick a free image without being guilty of breaking the law. Mrs Shearing also showed us how to see the details of the image, for eg. The Author's name, the date it was put on the internet, and the license type. 

It was amazing to hear that there was a tool on the internet that I didn't know of/heard of. The tool is being able to have the ability to see free images with 2 clicks of your mouse. Mrs Shearing also said the word 'CopyRight' I have heard this word before in movies, songs and images! If an image is copyright you are not allowed to use that image to get money, or any other stupid image. If you use an image that is Copyrighted and use the image to get money the owner will think that you are using their image for something and the image isn't actually theirs! 

When Mrs Shearing was talking all I could think about was the fact that all this time I have been using images for 3 years and in that amount of time I didn't know that I was breaking the law most of the time. But at least I wasn't using the images to earn money or something, but we were also told that we have to acknowledge the owner of an image if we use it without permission! 
It's either paying or not using the image. I'm sure everyone would go with not using the image. 

This week's Cybersmart session is probably one of the most interesting Cybersmart sessions I've ever contributed in! Our task was to pick four images and find the author, license type and the image title. I completed the task in about 7 - 10 minutes. 

At first I found keeping up with Mrs Shearing a challenge because I wasn't on the same website as her in order to collect all the information. I enjoyed learning a new tool and finding out some information about images because it was my first time learning about this new trick. 

Please leave a comment!
Many thanks :) 

1 comments:

Mrs Shearing said...

I am glad that you have learnt that not all images are free and can be used. Many require attribution and you should always say where you got them from. You usually don't need to pay for them, just state the author and the licence type.

Post a Comment