Pages

Monday 10 July 2017

First Arrival in New Zealand! - WLJ

IALT: Write about how I would feel if I came across a new island.

Activity 1: Let’s imagine that you were on the first waka to arrive at Shag Point. You had never been to New Zealand before and you had no idea what to expect. Write a poem describing how you would have felt when you arrived in New Zealand. Would you have been excited or scared? I would have felt pretty nervous, I reckon…


This task involves me to think way back, to the time when New Zealand was first navigated by Abel Tasman on the 13th of December 1642. Raechal reckons she would've felt nervous if she arrived in New Zealand for the first time. But for me I would've felt excited and eager to discover more about this new island and learn about how to thrive. 
Image result for Waka
I wonder what it felt like when Captain Cook, or Abel Tasman discovered this island because well, it was new for them and it was something that no one else have ever seen before. Our ancestors first travelled on canoes to find a brand new island everywhere they went, using the stars as a map to figure out where to go next,  a traditional navigational way , using elements as a map. 

What a splendid idea, on the movie 'Moana' , Moana learning to sail is something that she has to learn because her ancestors before her were voyagers. Like the Whale Rider movie, her father keeps it a secret , and Moana tries to tell the people of her tribe about the journeys of the people before them. 

A challenge I found during this task was thinking about, it didn't take me too long but in the end I figured it out and therefore I wouldn't feel nervous if I came across a new island.

Feel free to leave a comment.
Many thanks :) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your work is absolutely astonishing, I am speechless.

Unknown said...

Hey Gary,

I love the thought you have put into this activity. It sounds like you have really put yourself into the shoes of the first people to arrive in NZ and tried to imagine what it was like for them. I love that you have thought about the kinds of questions you would ask when you arrive... There would be so many things you'd want to know!

Well done again Gary!

Nicky :)

Post a Comment