Pages

Sunday 9 July 2017

History of New Zealand - WLJ

IALT: Pick three facts about New Zealand and re write them in my own words.

With finally having the chance to register for the 'Winter Learning Journey' I now have the time to participate in one of the activities. It's my first time doing one of these, and from the little prep talk Rachael gave us I am willing to make my school proud and achieve my goal of 1,000 blog posts. Reading through all the facts about this country I live in, I sometimes questioned myself and asked 'What have I been learning about the country I live in throughout my years in school' It's the third day of the journey but I have yet to reach that mark. 

Image result for New Zealand

Fact 1: A traditional Maori way of greeting people is through a act called the 'Hongi' in which the noses and foreheads of both people touch together to inform that they are trusted into the land and they are particularly known as people of this land. Even now, the Hongi is commonly used to greet people, and recognise them for their courageous acts. The hongi is equivalent of a formal handshake. Now, the greeting means "to share breath."
Image result for Hongi
Fact 2: Rugby is New Zealand's National Sport. Not only are we known to be the best Rugby country in the world, but we have won back to back world cups, in both 2011 and 2015! With Rugby being so popular in this country, almost all schools have Rugby teams and clubs in which they can show case their talents, and be known as a great rugby player. 
Image result for Rugby
Fact 3: Farming. For Kiwi's farming is a way of life. The country side is perfect for those who love animals and love nature. Not only can you meet different people, places and animals you can also get away from the business of the cities, to the peacefulness of the country side where you have nothing but instinct to rely on. Almost all meat that we Kiwi's eat everyday come from the animals of farmers who work had to support their nation and family.

Image result for Farming

This activity was one where it challenged me to think more critically as I had to re write the facts in my own words. Luckily, in school I have had to summarise articles I have read which gave me a head start and knowledge on what I had to do. It was no too hard for me but this was a great way for me to learn more about my country and how we live in the country side. It's always been the country for some families across Auckland, I some day hope to live there where I can grow my own family and pass down farming for generations to come. 

The Winter Learning Journey activities are pretty interesting, from learning to sharing what I learnt and did throughout the task. I can't wait for more surprises to come. Stick around to see more of this amazing work. 

Feel free to leave a comment.
Many thanks :) 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Gary!

I love how you have gone and found facts that are a little bit different! Like that farming is a lifestyle for many Kiwi families. I grew up on a farm myself and absolutely loved being able to get out into nature with the animals and explore. I like it better than the busyness of the city!

Well done on a well-researched post Gary!

Nicky

Post a Comment