Pages

Sunday 9 July 2017

New Zealand by Land and Sea - WLJ

IALT: Pick three options and choose one I enjoyed the most and why.

After a whole day of sightseeing with my group, we visited three different places, Rangitoto Island, Karekare Beach and got to visit New Zealand's oldest living Kauri tree , Tane Mahuta. This task needs me to choose which of the three I liked the most and write down why it is better then the other two. Making my mind up I came up with my final decision and reason why. All three of these places are really amazing and have secrets yet to be revealed but for me I think the best place was visiting Tane Mahuta. 
The size of the tree was massive, compared to the biggest Pine Tree I have ever seen. Standing at 51.2 metres tall it is a towering plant, with it's Trunk height at 17.86 m , Trunk Girth 13.77 m and Trunk Volume at 244.5 m. Before leaving we had to keep to the track at all times and when in strong wind conditions beware for falling branches.  While walking past the tree, we had to follow some rules that ensured the safety of the tree wouldn't be under any danger whatsoever, and to help it continue to grow for years later.
Image result for Tane Mahuta
I think for me this was the best place to visit because it is a once in a life time being able to see the Kauri Tree still living and active because at 1,250 and 2,500 years of age it is a really impressive sight to see. Just the size of the tree was spectacular I have never seen a tree that size in my life. Tane Mahuta is also the God of the Forest, everything that lives in his Forest is known as his children. 
Image result for Tane Mahuta God
Kauri Trees have very sensitive surface roots, and foot traffic around the tree endangers the life span. It's hard to believe that a tree that big can be so sensitive that walking near it can cause significant damage to the way it continues to live and how long it will live for. The wooden fence that blocks people from getting too close can help look at the tree, and make you feel like dwarfs. 
Image result for Tane Mahuta
My favourite part was being able to get a picture. I didn't look like a big boy my friends call in my school. I looked like a small boy with a massive giant next/behind me. I wonder how long it will continue to live on for???

A challenge I found was acting like I actually did visit the tree. I have yet to visit it in real life and therefore want to take a picture alongside it to remember the moment I first saw it. 

My next steps in learning is to act, act like a movie star really in it. 

Feel free to leave a comment. 


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Gary,

Thanks for sharing so many extra facts about Tane Mahuta! You've definitely enlightened me! I love the comparison photo of you standing next to Tane Mahuta - it makes the tree look massive!

Very informative, thanks Gary!

Nicky

Post a Comment