Pages

Monday 3 July 2017

Is TRUMP your favourite word?

IALA: The word 'Trump' named children's word of the year. 

According to the statistical investigation led by the Oxford University Press, 'Trump' is children's "word of the year" The US president's name saw 839% increase in usage across 130,000 stories submitted by school children for BBC Radio 2's annual writing competition. Other popular words were 'Brexit' and 'fake news' in stories from children aged 5 to thirteen, which is a spectacular find because  the word 'Brexit' isn't commonly used in our country New Zealand. If I were to choose a word we Kiwi's use, it should be 'Cuhz' and 'Bro' both of these words are commonly used in my area.
"According to the judges ‘Trump’ is mentioned in a wide variety of contexts, from the US elections and politics, to tales of space, aliens and superheroes, giving expression to children's creativity, playfulness and humour" For me I think this is very unusual because in the past two years other word's of the year were 'refugees' and 'Hashtag' all in which I am familiar with and have a clear understanding. But I have a question, was the survey only for students in America? Or across the globe. 
Image result for word of the year
If it were only in America, I am very shocked because 839% is a lot, and well more then the children we have here in New Zealand. This article, is very unique because I myself didn't want Trump to be president because well his past determined his future, but no one is perfect so therefore everyone makes mistakes, in which we can learn from them. 
Image result for USA

But at the same time it is great to hear about this , and I think this is very hilarious. Not only is Trump a famous name, but it is the last name of the current USA president. As of today, my next learning steps is too use more thinking skills to add in more about a situation or act. 

Feel free to leave a comment.
Many thanks :P 

0 comments:

Post a Comment