Pages

Thursday 22 June 2017

First Buddy Reading Lesson

IALT: Write about learning to ask my buddy some questions about the book he read.

Today I was assigned to read with a buddy from Room 2. It was my first time so I knew I was going to make some mistakes. The buddy I chose to go with was Elijah, the reason for this is because I am used to him and know somethings about him that will help me comfort him when in times of need. Walking down to the class, I felt nervous. What if I didn't go according to plan? What if I managed to do the wrong thing? But I kept my head up, and soon me and my buddy were reading on the stairwell. The first book he read was 'Wind Power' the book was about how wind is important, without wind we can't have power and electricity, something that we need in our everyday lives. 

Image result for wind power

I was proud of Elijah, because even though he is a Year 3 student, he can still manage to read those words that I thought were too hard for his year level. The book was about 5 minutes long, we got the ending of the book perfectly, Ms Komor walked through the door and therefore we had to read a different book ' The Kings Birthday ' at that exact moment, I felt like I did something wrong.  While Elijah was reading , I had to help him on some words he didn't recognise, as a Student Leader of this school it was my job to help the younger kids learn and get better at subjects. 

Image result for Reading

He then finished the book, Ms Komor asked him some questions, some he got right others he needed help with. Just watching him answer some of the questions made me realise, and at that moment I learnt my lesson. Always ask my buddy questions related to the book to help them better understand the purpose of the book. At the end of that small session, it was my turn to ask him questions so that when someone asks him about the book, he doesn't have to hesitate to answer the questions. 

Image result for The Kings Birthday

After I asked him some questions we went to his class and there, Ms Komor asked him again, questions about the book. I was confident because I already asked him the questions and he got the answer perfectly. As I sat there watching him, he looked at me at times but I knew he didn't need any help. Finally it finished, we both learnt something from that lesson, something that I know I will achieve and therefore make Elijah better at Reading. 

Something I found challenging was when I learnt to ask him questions after he read the book. I am going to never make that mistake again, and achieve the goal of making him better at reading.

Feel free to leave a comment.
Many thanks :) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment